God's Protection on a Dark Night
In 1983, I had the privilege of serving as a volunteer driver for Catholic Sabah Welfare. Every Saturday evening, I transported parishioners with disabilities to and from Mass at Sacred Heart Cathedral. It was a simple ministry, but one that allowed me to serve God by serving others.
One Saturday night, after sending a group home to the Inanam Shelter Workshop, I was driving the Catholic Sabah Welfare van back to the cathedral.
It was around 8:00 p.m. The road was dark, with no streetlights, and I was travelling at about 100 km/h. Suddenly, I heard a loud, distinct voice say, "Slow down!"
The voice startled me. I looked around, but there was no one nearby, and the road ahead appeared clear. I could not understand why I had heard those words.
Then, for a second time, the voice came again—more urgent than before: "Slow down!"
Deep within my heart, I sensed that this was not my imagination. I believed God had sent His angel to warn me of danger ahead. Without hesitation, I eased off the accelerator and slowed down.
Just a minute or two later, I came upon a frightening scene. A 10-ton lorry had broken down in the middle of my lane. There were no warning lights and no warning signs to alert approaching drivers. The lorry was carrying long steel bars. Some had fallen onto the road, while others extended dangerously from the rear of the vehicle.
As I drove past safely, I realised how close I had come to tragedy. Had I continued at my original speed, I would almost certainly have crashed into the lorry. The impact could have claimed my life.
That night, I experienced God's loving protection in a way I have never forgotten. His timely warning spared me from what could have been a fatal accident. It was a powerful reminder that God watches over His children, often in ways we cannot see or fully understand.
Throughout our lives, we may not always be aware of the dangers from which God protects us. Yet His love, mercy, and providence remain constant. He guides our steps, watches over our journeys, and sends help when we need it most—even before we realise we are in danger.
Whenever I recall that night, my heart is filled with gratitude. I thank the Lord for His faithful protection and for reminding me that He is always present, even on the darkest roads of life.
"For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways."
— Psalm 91:11
Thank You, Lord, for Your loving protection.
— Gerard Yee
Everyone has a guardian Angel who protects us out of the harms way. I witnessed my younger brother walking ahead of me near Holy Rosary church Limbahau.Papar during windy April when I clearly saw a ripe coconut hurling at my brother's head when it swerved to the left out of harms way missing my brother's head a mere inches. Saved by his guarden Angel in time. Praise the Lord...🙏🏾.
ReplyDelete