LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

FORWARD MESSAGE!

Photobucket

In Iraq, soldier finds a new faith

In Iraq, soldier finds a new faith

"I found I related to it," says Albany resident who converted to Catholicism
By PAUL NELSON, Staff writer
First published in print: Sunday, December 27, 2009

You could call it something of a religious trifecta for Marjana Mair.

The soldier from Albany was among seven service members with the 1st Air Cavalry Brigade who just six days before Christmas were confirmed as Catholics while serving in Iraq. 1st Lt. Mair was also baptized and received her first communion.

She was a Muslim for many years but wanted to become Catholic after studying the faith.

"I grew up (Muslim) for 18 years, but when I started studying (Catholicism) I found I related to it ... there was something beautiful about it and I wanted to be part of it," Mair said.

Before being confirmed in a Mass at Tigris River Chapel at Camp Taji, Mair and the others had to take the required classes.

"Over the 20 weeks I learned about the religion through the Bible; what it means to be a Catholic and the way they do things" Mair said. "I felt I had a good grasp of it after that."

Despite being nervous, Mair said she found her baptism to be a moving experience.

"Once Father Wood was up there with me it felt right, I knew I was doing the right thing," Mair said. "It was a beautiful ceremony and will be one the biggest things I take from this deployment."

Chaplain Maj. Tyson Wood presided over the ceremony after getting special permission because of the location and circumstances.

"It was an awesome privilege to do this and I've had the chance to do this every time I've been deployed, which you don't get to do often as a priest ... it was an honor," Wood said.



No comments:

Post a Comment